We Bet You Didn’t Know About Red-Light Running
1. You or your loved ones are more likely to be injured due to a red-light running related crash than any other type of crash.
2. Running a red light or other traffic control is the most common cause of all urban crashes.
3. Someone runs a red light an average of every 20 minutes at urban intersections.
4. In the last decade, red-light running crashes killed nearly 9,000 people.
5. An estimated 165,000 motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians are injured annually by red-light runners.
6. Half of the people killed by red-light runners are not the signal violators — they are passengers, other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists.
7. Nearly 93% of drivers believe running a red light is unacceptable, yet 1 in 3 drivers reported doing so in the past 30 days.
8. There are an average of 7 fatal crashes and over 1,000 injury crashes EVERY DAY at signalized intersections across the United States.
9. The cost to society of all crashes exceeds $230 billion annually.
10. The tragedies and costs resulting from red-light running are preventable!