In the event of a flood, some damage to your home may be inevitable. However, there are steps you can take to increase the “flood resistance” of your property. Some of these can be quite expensive, while others are relatively cheap and easy to implement.
Consider the following options to prepare for potential flooding:
- Waterproof your basement. Elevate your furnace, water heater, and electrical panel above the expected flood line to prevent damage
- Use sandbags, plastic sheeting, and plywood to minimize flood entry in specific places
- Add valves to sewer lines to keep flood water out of your pipes
- Install a sump pump (a pump used to remove water) with a water alarm that will automatically engage in the event of flooding
- Clear your gutters and drains in advance to promote proper runoff and drainage
- If flooding happens repeatedly, consider raising the building above the floodplain